Monday, December 26, 2005

It was a beautiful sunny day today for the first time in ages, so me and Claudette (the scooter) decided to go on a little adventure.


Halla-san on the road from Sinsigagi (my town) to Seogwipo City


The view of Halla-san is amazing from certain parts of Seogwipo, here it is from the main rotary in the center of town (I haven't tried Jesus Day coffee, but I need to) :)


I then just started to drive east along the coast past Seogwipo and ended up climbing an oreum (large hill) that overlooked the sea ...


... and had a really good view of Halla-san


There was a line of squat little traditional houses, surrounded by Jeju rock walls, not 50 feet from the ocean line ...


Went exploring a little on the coast and found this secret cave ...


... and the stairs back up to the adjoining hotel were beautiful. :)

Later tonight my vice-principal and my coteacher Kim Soo-hee took me out for a fabulous dinner at a restaurant with architecture that looked right out of the Choseun dynasty. He's a marvelous man, a devout Protestant who doesn't drink (quite admirable in Korea given the social pressures) and is fond of bursting out in classic English songs - he was an English teacher before he got into administration, and is conversationally nearly flawless. His all-time favorite song is "Perhaps Love", which he requested from the lounge singer when we went out for after-dinner tea at the Hyatt Hotel in Jungmun, the tourist complex on the island. I had Jeju Yoo-Ja Citron tea, which is actually made from the Yoo-Ja citron fruit peels so I suppose its not truly a tea, but it was tasty anyways. :) Definitely not sweetened, which in my opinion was a good thing for this one, the natural taste of the peels on the bottom of the cup wasn't covered up. We then walked over to the Lotte Hotel for a fire and water show outside ... wish I had brought my camera for this one, there were fireballs shooting up into the sky and a mechanical but scary-real looking dragon that came out of the water and breathed fire!

Magnificent day. :D

No comments:


"I don't believe people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." ~ Joseph Campbell

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

 Subscribe in a reader



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from deep ochre. Make your own badge here.
Powered By Blogger