Monday, November 10, 2008

Japanese food

Those of you who know me, know that I love Asian food. So coming here to Japan, one of my most important missions has been to make friends with the native food, then devour it. Here are some of the things I've been eating.

I was on my way to hike Mitake mountain and I had to change trains to a local line on the same platform. So, I had 20 minutes to kill and I was hungry, but I didn't want to leave the station ... no problem! The Japanese have thought about this problem, they have ramen shops right in the middle of the train platform. I had soba (buckwheat noodles) with fried vegetables mixed in ... mmm. It's a surprisingly dark taste - hard to describe. Definitely not sweet or even salty.



The rotating sushi bars are the best. You just sit down, get free unlimited tea from a spigot, all the wasabi and pickled ginger you want, and just pull down plates from the conveyor belt to eat. You get to make a sweet tower that tells your dining neighbors exactly how much of a sushi pig you are. :D



Speaking of pigs .......



And finally, a Japanese take on a Korean restaurant. the prices are heartbreaking, but even more disturbing ... I don't recall ever seeing a floating poopie sausage on the menu in Korea?!



The good news, tea report: in the teacher's room of my school, there is a machine which dispenses two things - hot water, and loose leaf green tea, at the touch of a button. Most days, I just don't stop drinking it.

No comments:


"I don't believe people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." ~ Joseph Campbell

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

 Subscribe in a reader



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from deep ochre. Make your own badge here.
Powered By Blogger