Sunday, May 14, 2006

It has certainly been a while. I ... went to Japan! Now I'm back. Man, do I have a lot to catch up on.

It isn't often when something lives up to and even exceeds your expectations - even less often when that something is travel related. To all those Japan-o-philes I've known in my life - Chris Langevin, I'm talking to YOU - you were right all along. Korea is the "hot ham water" to Japan's thick, viscous, giblet-filled Thanksgiving gravy. The temples were beautifully minimalistic, the gardens were gorgeous, the anime was nudie, and the fashions were insane. Oh and the sake was good too. Sushi tastes best from a conveyer belt. Chilled green tea tastes best from vending machines, located approximately 50 feet from each other (this extends well into densely wooded countrysides). I want to learn Japanese so I can live in a manga internet cafe for the rest of my life. :) Yeah, I loved it. There are maybe a hundred new pictures on Flickr.

The legendary Ryoanji Zen rock garden in Kyoto:



Sunset over Tokyo skyline:



Rachael has an educational experience at the Yebisu Beer Museum:



Shibuya station is more city than I've ever experienced ...



Mist, temples and giant trees in Nikkho, north of Tokyo:



Me and a torii in Meiji, Tokyo:



And perhaps most important, to Japan's gardens and really everyone, is the VIM (very important moss). In comes in many varieties, as you can see here:



Despite my torrid love affair with Japan, it is nice to be back in Korea. I think my kids have been extra adorable lately. The sun is warm, the air is clear, and life on the island smells GOOD. :)

No comments:


"I don't believe people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." ~ Joseph Campbell

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

 Subscribe in a reader



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from deep ochre. Make your own badge here.
Powered By Blogger