Friday, September 04, 2009

what is enlightenment?

I've been thinking about this question for a few years now, and whenever I'm struck by something I read or experience, I try to somehow add it to my own unwieldy definition. I know others have said it more simply, but I see the journey to enlightenment more as an unfolding mental process, and I've liked developing this more lengthy version which works for me whenever I find myself heading off track. Wondering what you guys think, here's what I've landed on so far:

Enlightenment begins with the sharp perception and experience of present moment awareness and thankfulness and the wonder of being human, builds with education and the broadening and refining of a sense of culture and the world and the good life, an unattachment to results, the realization that everyone (including ourselves) is Buddha/Jesus/insert_deity_here (perfect, just as we are), the nonjudgmental acceptance of and celebration of everything, the oneness/nonduality of everything - and ends with effortless compassionate actions to empower others.

No comments:


"I don't believe people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." ~ Joseph Campbell

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

 Subscribe in a reader



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from deep ochre. Make your own badge here.
Powered By Blogger