Sunday, April 03, 2011

hiking a mountain in our backyard

This Saturday Hanna and I hiked 금당산 (Gemdang mtn), one of the local giants that watches over our campus.




We used the GPS on my phone to find a path behind an elementary school leading up into the hills. There's something about encountering a trail with no signs, just a path leading into the forest - exhilarating.



Beautiful, tall purple flowers mingled with the trees.



The view from a bench on the path of part of 남구 (the south section) of Gwangju city, my neighborhood.



When we reached the top we could see right down to Gwangju University campus. The tallest building there toward the center of the picture, with the white towers on the roof, is the classroom building. My office is on the 17th floor, facing this side. With good enough 'nocs, you could see all the papers on my messy desk from where I stood to take that shot.

Whenever I gaze out my window at all these gently rolling hills, I get the urge to pack a couple rolls of kimbap and some makkoli in my backpack and just start walking ...

No comments:


"I don't believe people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." ~ Joseph Campbell

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

 Subscribe in a reader



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from deep ochre. Make your own badge here.
Powered By Blogger